Whole Health Austin is an Integrative and Holistic Medical Clinic that operates on the common ground between Ayurveda, Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), our Microbiome, and Western Medicine. The thread that connects these sciences is our gut. For thousands of years, Ayurveda and TCM have recognized and highlighted how healing starts in the intestines, gall bladder, liver and stomach. Today, we are proving this true through large scale endeavors like the Human Food Project, which is defining and mapping the Microbiome.
The clinic is operated by me, Darshan Shah, MD. I utilize my knowledge and personal experience in various disciplines to help people improve their own physiology. What I have discovered for myself is that moving towards a Whole Food Plant-Based diet has improved my health significantly. Specifically, I no longer have asthma or reflux symptoms. I have lost weight in my mid-section, feel lighter, and more energetic. “It is very similar to cultivating soil and gardening. Time is necessary to sow the seeds.” Like this, my improvements did not happen overnight. They have taken years … but the changes are permanent. In this sense, I practice slow medicine. Everyone’s constitution is different and requires tweaking over time. I do not approach people with preconceived notions of what is right for them, but rather work with them on what they are already doing and present the available science along with personal experience to help them catalyze the changes they already know they need to make.
“To catalyze the changes that we already know we need to make.” This is in essence, the secret. It means that within us all is an innate intelligence that knows what we need at all times. Call it an inner-voice or conscience, it is there, always. However, from a young age we are trained to ignore this voice. By the time we are adults, we readily question ourselves when it comes to our own bodies and innate healing. At Whole Health Austin, I work to reconnect people to their internal voice they were born with, the one that helps people take care of themselves. I really do believe in “listening to your gut.”
Dr. Shah’s Educational Highlights and Certifications:
- B.S. in Computer Science from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- M.D./M.B.A. from Tufts University School of Medicine with Northeastern University and Brandeis, Boston, MA
- Residency in Family Medicine at Methodist Charlton Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- Yoga training in Mysore, India at KPJAYI
- Board Certified American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) since 2012
- Diplomate of American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine (ABIHM) since 2014
- Certified in Mind-Body Medicine through the Center for Mind-Body Medicine
- Certification in the BioFlex Laser System